Saturday, July 09, 2005

Anyone check out The Congo recently? Perhaps for your next vacation...

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/news/voices/2005/03-2005_drc.cfm

This article was gruesome, the inhumanity of desperate people, brutally killing each other over resources (although that kind of hits close to home, doesn't it?) How does a person decapitate and mutilate a child? How do men find it within themselves to violently rape and brutalize young girls and old women? Or anyone for that matter? This is obviously not an isolated scenario, this goes on in other places, even Asian history is rife with brutality, and has been going on for decades, probably longer. And all Africa asks America to do to help is to cut back just a little teeny tiny bit on the subsidation of our cotton farmers, which costs us civilian folks billions annually in tax money, so that Africa can get just a teeny tiny piece of the global cotton pie, which would easily exceed the amount donated by our government for aid. No, this wouldnt' solve the problem overnight, as there is a lot of work to be done in that part of the world, but at least it would be a step in the right direction? Of course, our fearless leader, who incidentally still thinks greenhouse gases and global warming are a myth, says that he'll be willing to consider decreasing the cotton subsidies if Europe acts on it first. So I guess that means the alledgedly richest and most powerful country in the world will have to wait for Europe to take the lead here even though we are the most superior nation, or so I've heard. Although it makes me wonder how this could be the richest nation when we're so indebted to China. And last time I checked China was still communist and blocking the words Independence, Democracy, Freedom, Taiwan, and Tibet from appearing on their controlled internet. Yeah, it's true. Ask Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, and the rest of them. They agreed to it. But I digress. And I'm about to digress again because well, it's the Amy Chen blog, and I'm one of your hosts. Has anyone ever checked out Moissanite diamonds? I have! To gemologists, they are virtually indistinguishable from mined diamonds, except they have a higher refractive index (i.e. more sparkly! bling bling!) and other very-difficult-to-ascertain-without-serious-gemological-equipment properties.) They're everything a "girl's best friend" should be, but they are made in a lab, and not in a place where kids get their heads lopped off by machetes because they, cough, live there. So Moissanite diamonds, all the flavor without the guilt. And might I add, more affordable (probably because there's no Moissanite cartel?) Okay, you righties, go on and bash me for being a "hippie," a complete mischaracterization of this Amy Chen. You wanna talk to some hippies, I know some hippies who make me want to tear my hair out when we try talking about politics. Oh, time for dinner! I just walked my 89 year old grandma around the neighborhood with Baby before I sat down to write this. Her house was bombed in Taiwan during the Japanese occupation and she was all burned and her two kids and whole family died. But then she and my grandpa who made it out alive started over and had five more kids. That's a lot of pregnancies. I would have had serious problems having babies after losing two already, but I guess the show must go on. Just remember that, people, no matter what kind of crap life deals you, if it doesn't kill you, you have no choice but to move on, and you owe it to yourself to do it. I know I made a lot of typos here, but no time to edit! Ja bung-ah!

4 Comments:

Blogger amy chen SF said...

Ah, hypocrisy. Ah, America. As Langston Hughes wrote: "Let America Be America Again"... whatever it is that means, now.

Monday, July 11, 2005 2:17:00 PM  
Blogger Amy Chen LA said...

Amy Chen SF, are you some kind of literature professor or something? My guess is that you are studying to be literature professor at Harvard. Am I right? What America stand for anymore? Excess and arrogance? Yes, yes, independence, but is it really? I guess that depends on the degree and one's definition of independence.

Monday, July 11, 2005 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger amy chen SF said...

no, worse, i'm studying to be a lawyer. AUUUURRRRGH!!!

Monday, July 11, 2005 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Micah said...

http://msittig.blogspot.com/2005/07/o-let-america-be-america-again-land.html

Just promise to be a good lawyer.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home