Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Pret a Porter

Well, in addition to reasons mentioned in previous postings, the city life is much too much drama for me. And people here on the westside can be very rude. Sure I'm impatient, too, but I just bang my head against the wheel and scream silently to myself. I don't open the window and yell expletives for all to hear while steadily blaring the horn. And it kind of bothers me how people in LA are so unfriendly. Like not saying hi to people who live in your own building. Or avoiding all eye contact and refusing to acknowledge people you pass on the sidewalk, I'm talking residential sidewalks, not the busy ones. That always seemed strange to me. I decided to move, oh, last week. I'm just not LA, people who meet me usually ask me if I'm from somewhere else. Technically I am, but I have pretty much lived here since 8th grade, so I've been in LA for the formative years. Although San Marino is another kind of dysfunction in it's own right, which I won't get into.

I'm not sure how I will adjust to Oregon's weather, though, because I am accustomed to wearing aerating dresses, skirts and strappy tops year round (I don't wear pants or sleeves, too claustrophobic, and girls, I can sweat like a big nasty man!) and sandals. When I lived in DC, I always wore sandals, although I added socks when it snowed. Of course, like every Amy Chen (confirm or reject this assumption) I love shopping and have accumulated quite a collection in my travels. But in the morning I pick up the same clothes I threw on the bathroom sink the night before, take a good whiff, and put them on again. Unless they're smelly, then I pick up some fresh ones. Amy Chen NYC is every bit Miss NYC Fashionista. How about Amy Chen SF?

Amy Chen LA uniform: loose fitting dresses, skirts, open armpit tops, mephisto sandals.

6 Comments:

Blogger amy chen SF said...

I think you'll love Oregon! I hear only good things from my friends in Portland. Other comments, I am sorry to say that I'm actually not a very big shopper, and my mom + older sister far outshine me in the fashionista category. Right now I'm wearing tevas.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger Amy Chen NYC said...

What you described about the people of LA is how I would describe New Yorkers. Forget about saying hi to people on the street or subway. Everyone views everyone as some type of threat. Always skeptical of one anothers intentions... oh wait that's just me! I've developed a constant frown when I walk in NY or ride the subways. This is to avoid any interactions with strangers or the crazies of NYC streets. I need to get from point A to point B as fast as I can, I don't have time to smile or talk to anyone.

Amy Chen NYC uniform:
M-F/9-5: business casual (Banana republic uniform)
Sat/Sun day: Bohemian skirts, white beater tank, flip flps
Fri/Sat/Sun nights: 3 inch heels, seven jeans, and tank

As for shopping... who me? like to shop? heck ya! It will be my eventual downfall. Is it normal to think about shopping 8 hrs a day 7 days a week?

Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Amy Chen NYC said...

Amy Chen LA: I think you should dedicate a whole post to the dysfunction of SM. I would like to hear your thoughts...

Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Amy Chen LA said...

Yes, the dysfunction of SM...it's a fascinating phenomenon. I'll have to think about that one.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 3:24:00 PM  
Blogger Amy Chen LA said...

Amy Chen NYC, I think it's perfectly normal to think about shopping that much as long as you're thinking about it while at work. ;)

And interesting about your take on NYers and LAers. It's true, when I say hi to people they think I'm crazy. I am, but they shouldn't just assume it!

I need to figure out how to get pics on this thing.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Amy Chen NYC said...

Yeah, but when I mean NYC crazies, I'm talking about the people who talk and yell at themselves. I wouldn't categorize you with them. You're just friendly, and I'm surprised Cali folk don't respond to that? I always thought LAers are much nicer than that!

Friday, July 08, 2005 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home